Sunday, September 28, 2008

Neck Biopsy (9/25)

On Thursday my mom went in to have another biopsy. I took her to the hospital at 4:30 PM. They got her in really fast and, instead of having her surgery at 6:50 PM like they told us, they got her in about an hour early at 5:50 PM.

This meant that my sister S had to leave her nephew's wedding dinner early to come to the hospital to be with my mom.

The surgeon came and talked with me shortly before my sister's arrival and told me that the surgery had gone really well and that they should have the results by Monday.

Once my mom had woken up, my sister S and I went in to see her. She was still a little loopy from all the drugs (my mom has never done well with drugs - you should ask her about that half a valium she took one time), so she was saying some funny things.

Before the surgery, the surgeon had told my mom that the lymph node was really close to one of her nerves and that if he nicked it she might smile crooked - and it could be permanent. My mom was horrified by that prospect. "Think how funny I'll look if I'm bald and have a crooked smile." My sister A and I agreed that she'd look pretty funny. Luckily, after the surgery I had her smile for me and everything looked normal. She was very relieved.

So, the surgery went great, they should have the results on Monday, my mom meets with her oncologist on Tuesday, and she doesn't have a crooked smile :) - All great news.

The picture is of my niece who has a great smile and loves her grandma very much.

2 comments:

alex said...

I'm glad she doesn't have a crooked smile, Rick would never be able to quit teasing her about it. .. "There was a crooked ( wo)man.., who had a crooked smile.."

Anonymous said...

Buns of Steel...
You know I'm thinking about you!
I have a gybungous stack of "chick flicks" just waiting for you. Call me anytime day or night and I'll deliver to your doorstep! Morty loves you...and so do I!