Sunday, March 14, 2010

For She's a Jolly Good Lady

My mom and I are coworkers. We have been for over 10 years now. We work on a little program in the school district called the Mentor Program. We have matched thousands of mentors from BYU to students in the school district. My mom is retiring. Last year she didn't work very much because of all that cancer crap she was dealing with. This year she realized she is not the same. She cannot work like a mad woman. She is getting older and cancer took it's toll. I will step up and try to cover her duties next year along with my friend Cora. Cover is a good word because replacement is not possible. I am not my mother. My mother is loved and endeared by all who know her and she knows a lot of people. I mean a lot. She is outgoing and personable. She is the heart of this operation and she will be missed. The Service and Learning Center at BYU honored my mother with an award for being an outstanding citizen in the community. That sounds about right. My mother serves and serves and serves. On a side note, the Service and Learning Center has logged over 173,000 hours of service this year. Wouldn't it be nice if all universities logged those hours instead of perhaps logging those hours for partying? What a difference it could make. The Service and Learning Center had a nice luncheon where they honored a handful of individuals including my mom. It was nice to see her recognized for all of her hard work. It also made me realize I have big shoes to fill. I have small feet.
(Stolen from my sister Amy's blog)

1 comment:

alex said...

Congratulations! You deserve it Bunnie!